Skip to main content

Prairie soldiers in new book

The Korean War is sometimes referred to as the forgotten war.
Fargo author Merry Helm disputes that statement and is trying to help more people learn about the conflict.
Advertisement
“I’ve always thought of them as the ignored veteran rather than the forgotten veteran,” Helm said, speaking of the men who served in the conflict. “After all the adoration shown to World War II vets, Korean vets were thought of as ‘less than’ or class b veterans.”
Helm will read from her book “Prairie Boys at War” at 4 p.m. Saturday at the All Vets Club in Jamestown. The reading is a benefit for the new library project in Jamestown. Helm’s book will be available for $22, and Helm will sign copies.
She is also the featured speaker for the gathering of Vietnam and Korean veterans held at the All Vets Club later that evening.
Helm said her interest in Korean War history started when she was a writer for “Dakota Datebook” on Prairie Public Radio.
Her research into military history led her to the story of Woodrow Keeble. Helm did some of the research that led to a posthumous award of the Medal of Honor to Keeble on March 3, 2008.
“After we got the Medal of Honor for him I decided to not let it go,” Helm said, speaking of Korean War history. “It started as a nice little book about North Dakotans in Korea.”
The little book has now turned into a planned three-volume set telling the stories of Korean War veterans from North and South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Montana.
Helm said her research has taken many forms.
“I do first-person interviews whenever possible,” she said. “Or I try to find men who fought beside them in Korea if they were killed.”
Other forms of research include letters written from soldiers in Korea to family at home and military records from the National Archives.
Helm said the research is important.
“I feel a tremendous responsibility to get this right,” she said.
Helm said the second volume of the series is probably a year away from completion. Recent grants will allow her to spend time in the archives of the Army War College continuing her research. She has also learned of a previously unknown battle that includes casualties from the region.
The research and book have been well received by veterans and the general public.
“We’ve had unbelievable response from the Korean vets,” Helm said. “First, they are grateful that someone cares.”
Sun reporter Keith Norman can be reached at 701-952-8452 or by email at knorman@ jamestownsun.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FROM MILITARY DOT COM

Hidden Wounds of War Conference The Soldiers Project, a group of volunteer mental health professionals that offers its services to troops and their extended families, will host a conference May 16-18, 2008 in Los Angeles for military members who have served in the global war on terror and those who interact with them. The conference theme is "Hidden Wounds of War: Pathways to Healing." Conference speakers will focus on everything from the impact of war on the Soldier and family to challenges facing therapists who counsel military personnel and families. Those interested in attending the conference can visit (http://www.thesoldiersproject.org/) The Soldier's Project website to register for a discount before April 18 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time. New Fisher Houses Opening The Department of Veterans Affairs is planning new Fisher Houses to open soon in Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Washington. Fisher Houses are built through public donations and contributions from the Fishe

Wis. Soldier Killed In Iraq Returns Home

US ARMY RANGER CREED

US ARMY RANGER CREED Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers. Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier. Never shall I fail my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some. Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow. Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better tr