Skip to main content

Vermillion heats off frigid day by honoring local hero’s in day of history


Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 12:03 am | Updated: 1:30 pm, Fri Nov 14, 2014.
Major Erica Iverson, of the United States Army’s Corps of Engineers, traveled home to Vermillion from her current assignment at Fort Eustis, Virginia to give local residents and students a history lesson about Clay County military veterans on Tuesday in the Vermillion High School gymnasium.
“This is my home and it's great to be home,” Iverson said. “I planned my wedding Saturday around this event, it means so much to me. My husband teased me that I spent more time writing this speech than my vows.”
The Veteran’s Day Ceremony was hosted by the American Legion Post 1 and Vermillion High School. The Vermillion Middle School, elementary schools, and the University of South Dakota ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) honor guard also had major roles to play.
I was honored to join a large number of veterans who were allowed to enter to a standing ovation at the very beginning of the program. The number of veterans overflowed the reserved seating.
“I had a son in the Marines, and a great uncle in World War One that we heard stories of,” Vermillion resident Dorothy Blair said. “I've been to veteran programs before. I worked in the school, and we always had a program, but it's nice to see something really put together like this. But how many people can have a speaker like Erica come?”
American Legion Post 1 Commander, Clinton Meadows, introduced each group of veteran by which era they served in, from World War Two to the current War on Terror. The families of veterans and the three Tanagers who have committed to joining the military after graduating this spring were also introduced.
Austin Elementary presented a Veterans video, while the Vermillion Middle School presented a video regaling the audience on what Veterans Day means to them, and who they know that have served our country. St. Agnes’ fourth and fifth grade classes performed “The Heart of America,” while the VHS choir let everyone in the National Anthem, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”, and “God Bless America.”
Avery Iverson & Gage Whitaker each read their essays entitled, “What Veterans Day Means.” They were the two winners out of the entire fifth-grade class.
“This is absolutely amazing, especially with having Vietnam vets in the audience. I think the credit goes to the Veteran Service Organizations (VSO), the VFW, the Legion and the Auxiliaries. They are the ones that went through it and they know what it is like to come home. Especially the guys who went to Vietnam and came back and got spit on. So what do they do? They come back and join these VSO’s to make sure that doesn’t happen to us.”
Vietnam veteran and grandfather of Whitaker, Roger Delaney, had a more pleasant homecoming than most.
“At Travis Air Force Base, myself and three officers went into the restroom and changed cloths,” Delaney said. “I flew into Sioux Falls that night and there was nobody to come up to get me, so I spent the night at a friend’s house.
“When I was waiting for him to show up I was having a cup of coffee at the restaurant at Joe Foss Field. They closed up at eleven o’clock and I went outside was standing around waiting this buddy of mine to come pick me up and one of the waitresses came out and gave me a big hug and a kiss.”
Iverson focused on the veterans of Clay County. She told the story of several from all branches of service.
“Every veteran remembers something different,” Iverson said. “Marine Corporal James Kronaizl, a Vermillion native, served in the Solomon Islands in the Pacific in World War II. He remembered the heat & humidity.
“And I can also say, for those of you that have been to Iraq, whether in the 90's or more recently, I explain to people that serving in Iraq is like getting wrapped in an electric blanket on high, going to sit in the sauna, then having a fan blow sand on you, trying to eat meals and sleep in that.”
Meadows was very pleased with the turnout and the reception from the crowd.
“She (Iverson) did an excellent job showing that really the solder or service member hasn’t changed much since World War II,” Meadows said. “We are still facing the same obstacles.”
Iverson remembers how she was able to stay grounded during her many deployments.
 “My grandma was religious (about sending mail),” Iverson said. “I got the Plain Talk, she gave me a subscription in Iraq and Afghanistan. That was my little semblance of home. So the Plain Talk was amazing.
“This community has been phenomenal,” Iverson said afterwards. “I have gotten care packages, and they go out to everyone so Vermillion, South Dakota is on the map. These kids who have done the packages, and the churches, Vermillion is on the map. The outpouring of support I’ve gotten on my deployments, I’ve done eight of my fourteen years already overseas. To come home to something like this…”
Iverson shows her pride in origins as a Tanager and in her chosen profession as an Army officer.
“America remains the land of the free because of the brave,” Iverson said. “To honor them is to honor the spirit that is the United States of America. The spirit that says: duty, honor and country. And they are ideals that are still worth fighting for.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FROM MILITARY DOT COM

Hidden Wounds of War Conference The Soldiers Project, a group of volunteer mental health professionals that offers its services to troops and their extended families, will host a conference May 16-18, 2008 in Los Angeles for military members who have served in the global war on terror and those who interact with them. The conference theme is "Hidden Wounds of War: Pathways to Healing." Conference speakers will focus on everything from the impact of war on the Soldier and family to challenges facing therapists who counsel military personnel and families. Those interested in attending the conference can visit (http://www.thesoldiersproject.org/) The Soldier's Project website to register for a discount before April 18 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time. New Fisher Houses Opening The Department of Veterans Affairs is planning new Fisher Houses to open soon in Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Washington. Fisher Houses are built through public donations and contributions from the Fishe

Wis. Soldier Killed In Iraq Returns Home

US ARMY RANGER CREED

US ARMY RANGER CREED Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers. Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier. Never shall I fail my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some. Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow. Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better tr